Domestic Violence

Domestic violence (also named domestic abuse or family violence) is violence or other abuse in a domestic setting, such as in marriage or cohabitation. Domestic violence is often used as a synonym for intimate partner violence, which is committed by a spouse or partner in an intimate relationship against the other spouse or partner.

In its broadest sense, domestic violence also involves violence against children, parents, or the elderly.

Here are few important numbers to use when you are in immediate need of support or protection.


100: Police

1091: Women’s helpline number

181: Women’s helpline number

+91 7217735372 Domestic Violence helpline number by National Commission For Women

112: Single emergency helpline number for immediate assistance to services such as the police and women’s helpline

1800-2000-113: Helpline number for Transgender and men who have sex with men (MSM) community


[email protected] : National commission for women

Visit: : National commission for women



Domestic violence can lead to physical, psychological, and emotional harm for a survivor. If you are a survivor of domestic violence(s), we recommend you access medical treatment. Medical examinations can help  examine and treat any physical injuries on your body (free of cost).   

–Rights of the victim during the Examination

After FIR police accompany the victim to the hospital for medical examination(Free of Cost).

★Medical examination will be conducted at police authorised hospital only.

★If a male doctor is conducting the test, the female nurse must be present there.

The medico-legal certificate will be provided to the victim after test and medical report will be provided after 1-2 days

–Medical Report conducted?

• If the medical examination was conducted and the medico- legal certificate (MLC) is collected from the police station or from Government Hospital.

• If the medical examination is not conducted, inform the police before going to the hospital so that the female officer joins the victim to go to a government hospital where the medical examination is conducted and the victim gets examined. Then collect the MLC from Government hospital or from the police station.

– Once the MLC from Government Hospital is collected then please proceed to the next step

Reporting the crime

We understand that making the decision to report a sexual assault incident can be difficult and personal. Through this section, we will take you through the procedures and challenges in reporting to help you make an informed decision.

Step 1:-

Register First Information Report (FIR) in the nearest police station

–Rights of the victim during FIR

★It is recommended to file the FIR within 24 hrs of the incident and even to call the police as soon as possible after the incident.

★If the victim couldn’t contact the police then their family can contact them and request them to come where the victim is.

★The victims family can also file the FIR.

★FIR can also be filled later i.e when the victim is ready and willing to.

★The victim has the right to get the FIR’s copy Free Of Cost.

–Three possible situation and steps to follow:-

• The FIR is already Filed.

• If the FIR is not filed then go to the police station and file the FIR.

• If the police refuse to file the FIR then call on 100 and complaint, your FIR should be filed then.

          In case inconvenience remains unresolved even after calling on 100 then the victim should contact Superintendent or NCW(National Commission For Women) and get the FIR filed.

– Once the FIR is filed then please proceed to the next step.

Step 2:-

Hiring a lawyer

When comes to hiring a lawyer to legally punish the culprits, the victim can hire a lawyer from DLSA or her known one.

★For hiring a known lawyer, the victim will have to bear the costs on her own.

★If hiring a lawyer through DLSA, the victim has two choices to proceed either online or on the ground.

– If the online way is approached, then click on the “form” and fill the required details

– For offline, the victim has to collect the physical form approaching the District Legal Service Authority Office. After filling the form with the required details, submit it in the office.

• Once you finish any of the three above mentioned procedures proceed to the next step.

Step 3:-

If accused not arrested?

–Is the accused ARRESTED OR NOT?

★The accused is arrested.

★If No, he is not arrested

   – Write a letter to the Superintendent or NCW covering the major two points I.e arresting the accused and asking for the police protection.

And then make sure the accused is arrested.

   – If even after writing a letter action is not taken then contact the Judicial Magistrate and get confirmed after that the accused is arrested.

• Once the accused is arrested, please go to the next step.

Step 4:-

If you aren’t satisfied by the Investigation.

Without the victim’s satisfaction with the investigation, the case can’t be taken in the court.

★If the victim is satisfied with the investigation, the case is then headed in the court.

★If the victim is not satisfied with the investigation, she has to write a letter regarding her dissatisfaction to the Superintendent or NCW. If the concerned authorities take action, and the victim is satisfied with it, the case will be in court.

               If the concerned authorities don’t take any action, the victim has to contact the judicial magistrate, and the case will be in court after the victim satisfies with the action taken by the judicial magistrate.

Follow the above steps which are for real-time on ground procedure and in case of any queries or difficulties in above given steps, feel free to contact us.

Speaking up for justice is always a choice!

But if you do, we are here to support you!

The form should be filled by the Complainant only, and with complete genuine information

Click Here

Q. Is the presence of a female officer necessary when I file my complaint?

While it is not mandatory that a female police officer is present at the time of filing an FIR, 

most women prefer it. You may ask for a female police officer to be present if you want.

Q. Am I required to sign the FIR?

Yes. It is absolutely necessary that you sign the FIR. The FIR should be signed only after the 

police officer (or you personally) has read out the contents of the FIR. If a survivor is unable to sign the FIR owing to illiteracy (if they cannot read and write), they may use a thumbprint to “sign” the FIR and confirm its details.

What is helpline for domestic violence?


It is the WhatsApp number of NCW for solving cases of domestic violence.